Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Word to Christians about President Barak Obama

I fight discontentment and the "poor me" attitude most days. In fact, I think my sinful self likes to wallow in what I consider my God given "despair" or trial for the week. It's wrong and sinful to dwell on the things I see as negatives because I serve a grand and glorious God who is working all things together for the good of those who love Him. How dare us doubt Him to do exactly the perfect things in our day to accomplish His will for our life....one day, one measly little trial at a time? So then I can say...how dare us doubt His ability to raise up and tear down leaders of nations as he pleases?


Once the elections are done and we see who God has chosen for our nation, it would be wrong and sinful for us to show distrust and discontentment with who God has placed in the White House.


Even though the road ahead may appear scary and steep, to show such displeasure at every turn appears as a lack of faith on the part of the Christian. Especially to the unbelieving onlooker. It hurts our testimony and ability to share the gospel to complain about political matters all the time with no interest in sharing the news of a God who can save anyone from the worst of times or the worst of leaders.


He is SO good. He is SO powerful. He is SO wonderful. His sustaining hope for our daily disparities is so real and awesome. He cares for me. He cares for you. He cares for President Barak Obama. Enough that He would give his only son to save us from our sinful wretchedness. Enough that He'd offer eternal life in place of eternal Hell and damnation even when we don't deserve it. THAT IS SUCH GOOD NEWS!!! Why won't we talk about THAT?!


If our nation is headed for destruction, all the more reason to tell the Good News! Talking about destruction and the fall of a nation is not good news! Christ and His saving power for lost souls is good news. Let's work hard to weave that into political conversations.


I believe Satan loves to see discontentment with life and leaders breeding in our heart- because it damages our ability to effectively share the gospel.


I think, when political conversations arise, there is a great opportunity to talk to someone about how we believe God and His sovereign power over our lives and even the lives of leaders in our nation. It's an opportunity to talk about praying to the only One who can truly save a nation from its problems. The One who can save me from my despair. The One who can save you from your hopelessness.


To bad mouth the man God has clearly chosen to lead our nation is not doing anyone any good. It is making many Christians appear unloving, discontented and like they have no faith in our One True God and his sovereign power over our nation. Let's commit to pray for Obama and quit complaining about it. When we complain - we, in essence, are saying we don't believe God is sovereign enough or big enough to raise up and tear down kings and leaders. To the lost man, our faith becomes an accessory and appears like it has no sustaining power in our life.


I love this word about leaders and elections from a very wise and respected man.


"All of us care a great deal about our country. Now that the election is over, it is important to remember that whether we are personally pleased with the outcome or not, God wants us to pray for those chosen to be our leaders. We must also remember that no election will ever solve America's most basic problems. Only the Gospel, God's Good News, has the power to change lives, heal hearts, and restore a nation. It is my passionate, heartfelt desire to see God transform hearts and lives in every community in America, and I know you want that as well."

-Billy Graham

God commands that we pray for kings and all in authority with requests, prayers, and thanksgiving. 1 Timothy 2:1-2.


I'm reading this back now- and it might be a bit repetitive. But you get my heart. I'm typing on my iPhone with potty trainers and preschoolers and first graders pulling at my arm. Literally. It's a wonder I typed one single word correctly. Back to my motherly dooooteeees.

Choosing Joy-

Candice


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: