Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Baby Girl - Answered Prayer


Reagan is, by far, the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to Shaun and I apart from Jesus. She is an answer to prayer in so many ways. I have so many happy thoughts about her I can hardly organize them into a post. So bear with me.

When Shaun and I decided to have a baby, I can remember being terrified that I would be a terrible mom. I had never been comfortable around infants. I loved children, but that infant stage was weird for me. Well, 2 months after deciding to try, we were pregnant. Answered prayer. My pregnancy was problem-free. I couldn't have asked for a better pregnancy. God was good and we are so thankful for that. Answered prayer. I LOVED having an infant and it felt so natural. Answered prayer.

I began having contractions 8 minutes apart when I was 34 weeks pregnant with her. After two weeks of terrible contractions, the doctor decided it was time to induce. We found out shortly after inducing that Reagan was face-up. So what would have been normal Braxton-Hicks contractions were awful for me because her spine was against mine, making me feel more pain than would be usual if Reagan had been face down. The doctor told us that it was going to be near impossible for me to deliver without a c-section. Two weeks of contractions and a long night laboring after induction had exhausted me. My Dr. actually pulled Shaun out in the hall to let him know there was no way I'd be able to do it. So they prepped me for c-section but decided they would let me try pushing. 45 minutes later we had our baby girl in arms. No c-section. Answered prayer.

From day one she has been an amazing baby. She slept through the night at 4 weeks. She never cried when we left her in the nursery (which might have been sweet at some point). She has always had the sweetest spirit. She is a nurturer by nature. She loves taking care of mommy and daddy, rubbing our feet and heads. She's such a helper, already unloading the plastics out of the dishwasher and putting away her laundry and towels. She loves learning and she does it well and fast, just like her daddy. She is always smiling. She loves singing various tunes at any given time......usually a mix of ABC's and Great is Thy Faithfulness.....and lately there's a little Oh Christmas Tree mixed in there. Never, in any way, has she ever, ever, ever given us any reason to be overwhelmed or stressed with raising a child. She's easy. Answered prayer.


As I become frustrated and anxious about our future as a family lately, I'm reminded of Reagan. I'm reminded of the sweet smile she always has on her face (most of the time). As I was reading about God's faithfulness the other day, I realized I don't actively believe with my heart that God is faithful to me. I know He is, and I see it all around me, but moment by moment I'm not trusting him. So through tear filled eyes I asked Reagan to sing Great is Thy Faithfulness with me. She sat in my lap and sweetly sang the song with me, rubbing my head all the way. At the end of the song she said "It's ok mommy. I love you. Be happy. Want some hot tea?"

So, as Shaun and I encounter trials, we can't help but smile, because God has given us the most wonderful blessing imaginable. It is truly amazing to see how God has answered prayer in our lives in so many ways with this little bundle of life. I couldn't be more grateful. God is too good to me.

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


No comments: