Monday, July 27, 2009

Say It Ain't So






I can't believe it. Say it ain't so. 5 years ago I married my best friend! This past weekend was so special. Shaun surprised me and got an overnight babysitter for Reagan so that we could have an oh so special date! Thank you, thank you - Uncle Eric and Aunt Jo!

The more I ponder the last 5 years - the more it makes me smile. I am so overwhelmed with the blessings God has put in my life. If someone had asked me 5 years ago what I wanted to do with the rest of my life - I would have said - marry my best friend, stay close to home and become a wife and a mom. It's always been the desire of my heart to pour all of my moments into being near my parents, taking care of a husband and raising children - and now I'm doing just that.

Shaun has made so many sacrifices so we could get married, have children and I could be home with them. I cannot fathom my life apart from him. He is the reason for all my smiles. He is happy when I am sad. He is strong when I am weak. He is my protection when I am afraid. He is calm in my madness. He is patient where I am not. He is a holy example. He is selfless when all I think about is self. He is SO silly and I can only try to be. He is brilliant and tolerates my not-so brilliant mind.

He is also an incredible daddy and he has a vision for our family - I am SO grateful for that.

He is so many things I want to be - and maybe - just maybe - that's why I married him. I SO respect and admire the man God has made him.

I know God gave Shaun to me as a picture of what Christ is for me. When there are rough times - I know I always have a forgiving heart and a hand to hold in Shaun. He will be there. Even though I fail him over and over. Isn't that JUST like our Father in Heaven? He forgives and loves - over and over - He is our safe place. I think that is just what God intended for our husbands to be - a picture of Christ.

Recently - as I have witnessed my Poppie fight for understanding in the death of his sweet bride - Meme - I can't help but sympathize with his feelings. Life simply cannot go on - he cries - without the bride of his youth. I know God can give grace for the moment, but I can't help but feel the same. Shaun is my life. He has become part of me. My moments and thoughts are wrapped up in him.

This is a reminder of the relationship between Christ and His bride - the Church. Oh, that the moments and thoughts spent on being wrapped up in Shaun would turn into a thankfulness for God's blessings - and that it would produce an eternal mindset.

I love you Shaun. Thank you for your holy example. Thank you for being there for Reagan. Thank you for being my safe place. You are our hero.

I LOVE this song. It has always made me think of Shaun.

No comments: